Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Hang Your Quilt Day

Saturday, April 18th, my quilt guild, Amador Valley Quilters, encouraged its members to hang a sample of their quilts outdoors for the neighborhood to enjoy. I likened this practice to other diversions during times of "shelter in place" and "social distancing" due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some people put teddy bears in the windows of their homes for parents and their children to seek out and find while "going on a bear hunt" during walks. The Italian population gather at their windows every evening to cheer and give thanks to the medical workers who are tirelessly risking their lives. I think of putting these out for both reasons – to have something to view and enjoy and as a show of thanks to our essential workers. These are the quilts I've made that I chose to display. After each photo are the names of the quilts and a link to a post that tells more about each.


From left to right


From left to right
  • Orange and Grey 8/10/2016
  • Train 7/24/2018
  • Overlapping Squares 6/8/2016
  • Flag on bench - no blog post reference since it predates me blogging (pre 2011)


From top to bottom
  • Traveling Mandala (6/7/2015)
  • Leftovers - no blog post reference since it predates me blogging (pre 2011)
  • First Quilt - no blog post reference since it predates me blogging (pre 2011)
  • Painted Barn "Quilt" 2/11/2020

5 comments:

  1. Cool! Did many people come by to see your quilts? And did you take a walk or drive to see others' quilts? Sounds like a good quarantine activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neighbors saw them and commented. I posted on Facebook and guild members commented. For guild members who posted on Facebook and lived in Livermore or Pleasanton, I took my guild directory and Frank and I drove around to see the quilts in person from our car. Was fun and good to be out of the house and drive to a location other than just a curbside grocery pickup.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea, and your quilts are SO pretty - and there are so many of them. I'm sure your neighbors loved that you did that. Makes me want to run out and hang a few of my own! :) Driving to see the display sounds like a fun time. Thanks for sharing this on Main Crush Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such a fun day! Loved seeing your pictures on fb page. I hope we do this again in future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely display! Each quilt is unique, but you can tell you have an overarching style with geometry and bright colors - I also love the patriotic display you had by the door, complete with wooden "quilt" I hope others who drove by got to enjoy the view, and did anyone in your guild put together a photo album? Because that would be cool to surf!

    ReplyDelete