Monday, April 13, 2020

Finishing First Caterpillar Quilt and Naming

Naming my quilts is a finishing touch for me. Hmm... how to name two, almost identical quilts for two male cousins? Placing VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR in the title was rather long. Even shortening the phrase to CATERPILLAR was lengthy and still needed a distinction for the two boys. Adding "I" for the first quilt and "II" for the second quilt presumed a hierarchy and favoritism I did not have nor wanted to project. Then I pictured this itty bitty caterpillar chomping his way though all that food and thought of the Fritos corn chip jingle from years ago. You can hear it in the final 15 seconds of this one minute animated commercial from the 60's
Munch, munch, munch a bunch-a Frito's –– corn chips.
It's not polite to smack your lips
But you can't help it, with Frito's corn chips.
Munch, munch, munch a bunch-a Frito's –– corn chips.
What better name for the quilt than MUNCH? I considered Munch for the older grandson and Munchkin for the younger, smaller grandson. I slept on it and rejected Munchkin as two Wizard of Oz-ish. I decided upon MUNCH... for the younger and MUNCH... MUNCH... for the older – a bigger caterpillar naturally means more bites!


I had to sew on one of the blue labels twice. I accidentally took a few stitches too deeply and they peeked through onto the front in the numeral "9".


Here are front and back views of views of the completed quilt MUNCH... The seaming on the back worked great; it is barely visible. Hint: A giveaway is if you pick a snack and line it up vertically, two sections of yardage are offset from each other – four snack rows below the seam and two snack rows above the seam.



Previous blog posts for assembly and FMQ on this quilt are dated 4/10/20 and 4/11/20 respectively. I completed MUNCH... at the very beginning of March but withheld publishing posts about its progress until my grandson's second birthday, which is today, April 13, 2020. I timed mailing the quilt so he would get it slightly before today. I included a few Very Hungry Caterpillar themed accessories in the package but I will describe them in the next post about the similar quilt for his cousin, MUNCH... MUNCH..., which has a different backing.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful quilt and caterpillar birthday package for William! I'm sure he'll treasure it for years to come! We'll send a picture of him with it as soon as we can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great creation. I'd love to see some pics of it with William! And oh, those accessories. Boy do they bring back memories...

    ReplyDelete