Monday, December 21, 2020

Third Saturday of December 2020

Beginning April 2020, my quilt guild members began a tradition of hanging quilts in the front of their homes on the third Saturday of the month as a source of enjoyment for the community and as a thank you for the essential workers during the pandemic. My initial post about this practice is dated 4/22/20.

For "Hang Your Quilt Day" this month, the theme was Christmas and the Holidays. I used to be reluctant to make up quilts for Christmas because I reasoned why put in all that effort for something relevant only for only a few weeks of the year. But then, when I grew more prolific in my quilt production, I noticed I needed to rotate them anyway. I now enjoy bringing out and displaying quilts themed to a specific season or occasion. From left to right these four quilts are Simple Gifts, Grinch, Whirligiggles (not really Christmas themed but Christmas colors) and Christmas Cars. Above each closeup is a date linking to the blog post about that particular quilt's completion.

Grinch 45" x 72". See post dated 7/2/14

Simple Gifts 49" x 68". See post dated 6/10/15

Whirligiggles 56" x 74". See post dated 3/23/20.


Christmas Cars 50" x 66". See post dated 12/18/20.


Will the "Hang Your Quilts Day" tradition continue once the Covid pandemic is over? As the first vaccines are being distributed I am hopeful that life will return to normal soon. Perhaps the once a month practice will live on for fun, even as we see the return of traditional quilt shows. We cannot thank those medical personnel, first responders, and essential workers enough.

1 comment:

  1. Do you guys make a point to drive around each month and look at other quilts? I would think that that part of this activity would be something that people would want to continue, even after the pandemic is eventually over, so maybe "Hang Your Quilts Day" will live on.

    My mom gets her first vaccine dose (Moderna) on 12/30!! She won't get her second dose until 1/27 after she returns from her trip to CA, but I'm so thrilled that she's one of the first in line to get it as an essential hospital worker. COVID has ripped through her pharmacy with many pharmacists and technicians getting it and I'm thankful that she's remained healthy. It sounds like the general population won't get it until mid-summer/early-Fall, but hopefully since you and Frank are older, you'll get it this Spring after educators and other essential workers. There's an end in sight!

    ReplyDelete