Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Doll Decided- Full Steam Ahead

I have been spending time calculating how to cut my limited one yard of paisley fabric to get the border all around.  Good old Microsoft PowerPoint comes to the rescue.  I may not have my equipment at work to sew, but I still can use my lunch time to do the planning. Here is my cutting layout.  Pieces I need to cut out are to scale ( in pin stripe)  so I can see if it will all fit on the paisley fabric (shown in solid blue).  They will, but I will still need to piece the top and bottom borders - just barely - but, dang it, I still have to have seams in the paisley fabric.  I will not be piecing the sides since they are broken up into sections by the inset 4.5" x 4.5" border hearts. At least I can run all borders the same orientation. Side borders will be with the grain and top and bottom borders will be cross grain. Looks like I will have almost a fat quarter of the coral paisley left. Don't ya just love the cute little paper doll and fun heart images from Google?


I've finished the five 4.5" x4.5" hearts for within the paisley border.


I eeked these hearts out of the partial hearts. Here is what I have left of the partial hearts and blue background - pretty good use of available resources I'd say! My husband has learned never to empty the trash in my sewing without checking with me first! That "random" 1.5" x 1.5" square may be critical!


Then, the other morning, right before I woke, I dreamt that I should check my fat quarter drawers and, sure enough, I did have more of the solid coral heart fabric.  Oh, well. I did not have any more background blue print, so I needed to rob the partial ones anyway. 

The stripe inner border is now on.  I did take the advice of my followers and put the stripe as the inner border and the wider paisley as the outer border.


Next update should have those outer borders on and be ready for quilting.



Completed projects:
  1. Decisions on dolls made- finally  (I should get some credit for completed decisions)
  2. Dazzle knit scarf - here
Ongoing projects:
  1. Doll quilt - stripe border is on- adding paisley/heart border
  2. Tool quilt - hand sew binding
  3. Pink/lilac/green baby quilt for grand niece - narrowing down pattern choices 
  4. Pastel crocheted afghan - started last night 
No progress:
  • Hexagon Mask quilt - layout begun but overwhelming
  • Chicken quilt - located backing and potential binding
  • Fire and Ice - get from closet and decide backing
  • Grinch quilt - ripening on the design wall
This week's stats:
     Completed  projects - 1 + decisions 
     New projects - 1 (started crocheting small afghan)
     Currently in progress - 4

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

No comments:

Post a Comment