Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WIP: "Chicks' Week In" in Oklahoma

I am in Oklahoma this week visiting my daughter and my 17-month-old granddaughter. I brought out the Ghastliest quilt which is finally finished. You can see more details of it in my March 17, 2014 post titled Ghastlies Quilt Completed.


My son-in-law is on travel for work so this is going to be a chicks' week. We hope to talk, chill, quilt, look at fabrics, maybe shop a tad, and read. My granddaughter is in a crazy-about-books phase now so my daughter and I will be reading and reading and reading to her. I brought out two hard cover books and four cloth books. I already blogged about the two cloth rainy day books in my post for February 28, 2012 and the other two cloth books are in this post. This one is titled Tiny Tailor. I figured I might as well get the next generation indoctrinated into fabric and sewing at a young age. After all, there is a theme for this week's visit and my daughter hopes to get in a fair amount of sewing accomplished with me here to help entertain said grandchild.



The illustrations are adorable and the book will also help with learning to count. I plan to read it to my granddaughter tonight at bed time. Maybe it is just because I like swirls, but I think the shoe page is my favorite. But I have to admit that the toad on the toadstool and the wren with scissors are pretty darn cute, too.






The other book is a brightly colored one about nursery rhymes.


I like how the words are written all around the square on the left page as well as written out as a verse on the right page. I already read this one to my granddaughter last night. She sat in my lap so I was thrilled. Living half the width of the country away we Skype, but when I do see there there is a bit of stranger-danger to overcome when I first arrive for an in-person visit. I have no pictures yet but hopefully before I leave…?






I think when I return home after this week away, I will start to FMQ some of the smaller projects that have been on my ongoing list for just about forever. It will be good for me to get in more practice while the Ghastlies quilt is still fresh in my brain but I will have had a bit of time off. My stats for this week are:

Completed projects since 03/12/14 WIP post:
  1. Ghastlies baby quilt (begun in February 12, 2014 post and finished in March 17, 2014 post)
  2. Tiny Tailor cloth book
  3. Nursery Rhymes cloth book
Ongoing projects:
  1. Classic Cars strip quilt (August 3, 2013 post) - need to back, quilt, and bind
  2. Grinch quilt (May 22, 2013 post) - all borders added, need to back, quilt, and bind
  3. Jack O'Lantern Trio (February 2, 2013 post) - awaiting FMQ
  4. Chicken quilt - awaiting FMQ
  5. Overlapping square wall hanging - awaiting FMQ
  6. Mask quilt (October 19, 2011 post) - hidden away awaiting inspiration for arranging hexagons
New projects since 03/12/14 WIP post:  
  1. Tiny Tailor cloth book
  2. Nursery Rhymes cloth book
  3. A wall hanging kit I brought with me to Oklahoma to cut out
I will now link up to this week's Freshly Pieced WIP.


No comments:

Post a Comment